Search This Blog

100 Hours by Rachel Vincent

Wednesday, March 8, 2017


A decadent spring break getaway on an exotic beach becomes a terrifying survival story when six Miami teens are kidnapped and ransomed.

Maddie is beyond done with her cousin Genesis’s entitled and shallow entourage. Genesis is so over Miami’s predictable social scene with its velvet ropes, petty power plays, and backstabbing boyfriends.

While Maddie craves family time for spring break, Genesis seeks novelty—like a last-minute getaway to an untouched beach in Colombia. And when Genesis wants something, it happens.

But paradise has its price. Dragged from their tents under the cover of dark, Genesis, Maddie, and their friends are kidnapped and held for ransom deep inside the jungle—with no diva left behind. It all feels so random to everyone except Genesis. She knows they were targeted for a reason. And that reason is her.

Now, as the hours count down, only one thing’s for certain: If the Miami hostages can’t set aside their personal problems, no one will make it out alive.
 

Goodreads Summary


I read this book in less than a day. Weirdly, it was not because I liked the characters (I didn't) or because I thought the plot was fascinating (it wasn't), but that the author managed to capture real quirks and characteristics of a group of teens and make them all stand out. Although I literally liked none of the characters (Maddie wasn't so bad or self-absorbed), I liked getting to know each of them. The author pulled no punches with the plot either. Right when I thought I knew how the book was going to end or which characters were going to make it out...the rug was pulled out from under my suppositions. 

Maddie and Genesis are cousins who aren't too fond of each other (I'm not of mine either so I totally get it). When they decide to go on a trip together with friends and their other cousin (Maddie's brother, Ryan), Genesis once again calls the shots. At first, everything goes well, but after a while emotions get heated and our unhappy group runs into trouble. When a rogue gang captures their group and holds them for ransom, Genesis is the only one who knows what is truly going on. Genesis and Maddie are the two points of view that are central, but we also learn about Holden (spoiled, cheat-y rich boy), Ryan (all swagger, but no real game), Pen (whiny), and Neda (eh). It was a little bit difficult keeping track of the characters, but once I had them down I found them interesting. There were a few bits in the book that felt highly unrealistic for realistic fiction (book's plot was over the course of 100 hours and very clearly not a fantasy). 

One of the parts of the book I absolutely hated concerned the ridiculous amount of hook ups among the "friends." While I know a few people who actually do this I want to emphasize it's a few. I don't know how anyone would even have the time (100 hours) and the desire to do it all. In a weird way, I still enjoyed the novel and I was surprised by the ending to some extent. I likely will pick up the next few books in the series. 

3 Stars



This product or book may have been distributed for review, this in no way affects my opinions or reviews. COPYRIGHT © 2014 LIVE TO READ

0 comments: